Vacation means getting a break from your everyday routines. If you plan it Off-grid, it adds a healthy dose of peace and calmness to your life. But you need to at least gear up with a Complete 2 Week Food Supply List For Your Perfect Off-Grid Trip.
An Off-grid trip could be a healthy reminder of how much we are dependent on materialistic luxuries. However, this unique trip will require some planning, especially with the essentials like food, water, dairy, marinade, medicines, power storage, and satellite phone.
Planning and stocking up your food supply for an Off-grid trip can be confusing and difficult. You may either miss out on some essentials or unnecessarily stock up some items.
So, in this article, we bring you a lot of information on the Complete Food Supply List, how much to buy, and much more for a perfect two-week Off-grid trip.
Why Should You Learn To Stock Up On Food?
We all have become very used to a fast-paced life with all our daily necessities readily available in nearby stores and supermarkets. But hardly do we realize that an emergency can knock on your door anytime, and you are not prepared for it.
What can you do if you are used to running up to your grocery store every time you run out of ingredients and you get stuck in an emergency? You will be helpless and have no other option than to wait till you get some help.
We can list some events which will make you think about the importance of stocking up on food for emergency purposes. These events include,
- Storms – Wind, Sand, Snow
- Pandemic like Covid-19
- An extended period of Lockdown
People in some parts of the world may have faced hurricanes, heavy snowfall, heavy rains, or other natural calamities and learned to keep a stock of essentials like food and water to survive. However, with situations like the coronavirus pandemic, the entire world realized the necessity of stocking up on food.
Stocking up on food becomes even more important when you are on an Off-grid trip. You never know what is waiting for you ahead; it may be an emergency or a situation when finding any store is not possible.
Why Do You Need A Food List?
Making a meals plan and a shopping list with all required goods is the best method to food shop for your two weeks Off-Grid trip. Purchase enough food for a few additional meals as you never know when you get stuck up and the trip gets extended.
You need a well-planned list because,
- If you know what exactly you need to buy, you will save enough time at the store.
- It will help you save a good amount of money as you will buy only how much is needed and not necessarily stock up on things that are not required and may get wasted.
Also, this trip is to enjoy a different experience from everyday day-to-day living. So, why not save some money by keeping away from the food items that come under luxurious categories.
- The most important aspect of preparing a list is that you will not miss out on any essential item during your trip.
Should You Stock Canned Food For The Whole Two Weeks?
When you decide on a two-week-long off-grid trip, you will have to think about stocking up some food. But the question arises if you should stock up only canned food for two weeks as they have a longer shelf life?
The answer to this question is a straight NO. Instead, we would suggest you have only 50-60% canned food, and the remaining should be fresh food, dairy, and marinade.
When you compare both canned food and fresh food, you can notice the nutritional differences. This is because the heating process during canning destroys some percentage of vitamins and minerals. Moreover, with every passing year, the nutrient content in canned food drops by 2-3%.
However, canned foods are a handy and practical method to supplement your diet with a decent amount of nutrients. While many parts of the world lack access to safe, nutritious meals, canning helps people have various foods throughout the year.
Indeed, there is no comparison between fresh and canned food, but their combination is necessary for survival. Pay attention to your nutritional requirements. Make sure you have enough food to consume at least one well-balanced meal each day.
2 Week Food Supply List
Food is an essential part of any journey, but if you spend most of your time considering what you should cook, you can miss the adventure of this Off-grid trip. So, if you want to know preparedness tips for your off-grid trip, then the food supply list is one of the essential things you should do right now.
We have prepared a well-balanced 2-week food supply list divided into three main categories:
- Canned Food,
- Fresh Food and
- Other Food Items.
Stocking up on non-perishable goods is a critical step in preparing for a scenario in which your access to a grocery store may be restricted, like an Off-grid trip. It is critical to ensure that you get your daily requirement nutrients like proteins, vitamins, minerals, etc.
So, here’s a list of essential canned food items rich in nutrients that you should stock up.
- Canned beans and legumes
- Canned tuna, salmon, and meat
- Canned vegetables such as green beans, carrots, and peas and fruits
- Canned soups, stews, and chilies
- Canned fruits like peaches, pears, berries, and applesauce
- Various instant sauces and gravy mix
While a major part of the list is canned food, it is equally important to include some fresh items to maintain a balanced nutritious diet. Vegetables and fruits are both vital since they are high in vitamins and minerals.
Your stock must include some long-lasting fresh vegetables like potatoes, onions, carrots, pumpkin, cabbage, beet, eggplant, broccoli, squash, etc.
Additionally, fresh fruits like apples and citrus fruit with a thick rind like orange typically last longer. Therefore, they are a good choice to add some freshness with nutrients to your meal.
Other Food Items
Apart from canned and fresh food, there are many essential food items that you will need to stock up for preparing your meal. Fishing and hunting during your Off-grid trip can be a good experience. So, why not keep some additional spices to cook any item that you get.
Other food items may include,
- Dairy products like milk, yogurt, butter, cheese, chocolate, etc.
- Dry products like dry fruits (raisins, apricot, pistachio, etc.), cereals, oats, nuts, rice, flour, seeds, pasta, and crackers.
- Tea, instant coffee, and sugar
- Some marinades, salt, and spices.
Some More Essentials for Your Off-Grid Trip
Apart from the food items, there are some other essentials you cannot miss for a pleasant Off-grid trip.
- Water is the next essential item you need apart from food—stock up sufficient water for drinking, cooking, and cleaning.
- A first aid kit and basic medicines are the most important items you should keep on your list. If you are on medication, don’t forget to take a sufficient dose to last during the trip.
- Next is to take sufficient clothes for at least 20 days. You should also include clothes as per the weather of the places you are going to visit.
- Finally, a satellite phone is essential, just in case you get lost.
Are you unsure about the appearance of your meals for this trip? Here are some breakfast, lunch, and dinner choices, with the suggestion that you rotate them.
- You may choose Cereal, milk, Dried fruits, groundnuts, oatmeal, Toast, eggs, sausages, and peanut butter for breakfast.
- Choices for Lunch will mainly be canned food like tuna, meat, beans, rice, soup with some fresh veggies and fruits.
- You may choose some instant canned gravy and meat with rice or pasta, soup, chickpeas, potatoes, salmon, etc., for your supper.
In the end, it’s all your choice what you are going to take in your meal. But when you have made a list, check if it is enough for two-week survival if you get stuck due to emergencies? Make a count of calories present in the food you have added to the list to make sure you get the right calories daily.
How Much Should You Buy?
Now that you have made a list of food items you require for your 2-week Off-grid trip, the next thing you may ask is what should be the correct quantity for each of the listed entities?
The correct quantity to stock will depend on the number of persons on the trip and the daily requirement of calories and nutrients during the entire trip.
The quantity of calories you require is determined by your age, gender, weight, and metabolism. On average, a healthy adult requires to have a diet of 2000-2200 per day. So, you need to plan and stock up the food, which can fulfill at least 30000 calories for the trip per person.
It is not just the calories that you need to count. The human body requires at least three different types of nutrients: Proteins, Fats, and Micronutrients. So when it comes to everyday needs, make sure your meals include each of these in your diet.
- Approximately 10%-12% of protein works up to about 54 grams each day or 884 grams over the 14 days of your Off-Grid trip.
- About 8% fat, i.e., 40 grams each day, or 550 grams over 14 days while on Off-Grid vacation.
- Zinc, iron, calcium, magnesium, salt, and vitamins are among the micronutrients. Taking that into consideration, your food shopping list should include many varieties of food.
Some Tips Before Shopping
- Elders, babies, and pets need different items and care from the younger ones. If you are going to take them with you, keep the necessary things with you.
- Prepare a proper meal for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks, along with the recipe. This helps you to make a precise shopping list.
- Think Meals, Not Foods: It is a 2 weeks trip, and you have limited storage. You just cannot stock up on everything. Plan & restrict yourself to only essentials.
- Buy non-perishable foods that can be stored at room temperature to stock your pantry with enough food to keep you and your friends or family alive and well for your two weeks Trip.
- Fresh products, such as fruits, milk, and vegetables, can be included in the Off-Grid Trip plan.
- Keep an eye on the expiration date, and do not purchase items that will expire any time soon.
- You should also carry enough water for cooking, cleaning, and drinking. Again, plan the storage as per your needs.
- In addition to the above, consider your budget, location, storage space, nutritional requirements, food preferences, and allergies. Take food that you, your family, and pets will consume, and don’t waste food.
- Consume ready-to-eat / perishable food items first.
- Foods that require refrigeration should be stored in the refrigerator to avoid them from getting spoiled.
- Discard anything that looks or smells suspicious. It may cause food poisoning.
- Check the expiration date of food before consuming it.
- Keep raw food away from cooked food to avoid cross-contamination.
There is no need to worry about an off-grid trip because it can become your best journey if you have all the basic things mentioned earlier. This article is specially written to guide you for a safe and pleasant off-grid trip.
As always, thank you for caring for ”Em offgrid” in your life! If you are reading this article of ours, thank you, and I hope you find the shared information helpful to you.
It is possible that we may have missed out on some points. Tell us from your experience about anything you would like to add to the 2-week food supply list.