Everybody wants to save money, whether you’re using codes & coupons to get a discount on a product that you want to buy online or purchasing solar-powered products to reduce electric bills, saving money in any way possible is very helpful.
However, did you know that there are other ways you can save your money? This method can be life-changing and who knows you might enjoy this new way of living during the process.
In this article, you will learn how to save a lot of money to move off the grid. We will also include 72 ways before & after living off the grid.
- Do You Really Need To Save Any Money Before Living Off-Grid?
- Average Cost For Off-Grid Living
- Saving Money is a Must, Not a Should
- 72 Ways To Save Reduce Your Costs For Off-Grid Living
- 22 Ways To Cut Down Your Costs Before Living Off-Grid
- 22 Ways To Reduce Living Costs When Transforming Living Off-Grid
-  Ways To Reduce Living Costs When Completely Live Off-Grid
- Top 10 Most Critical Ways That Help You Save Almost Everything
- Wrapping Up
Do You Really Need To Save Any Money Before Living Off-Grid?
There are many things you need to consider, but out of them all, the first thing you should think about is the cost before living off-grid.
Living off-grid is not for people that want to live luxurious lives, as a matter of fact, living off-grid is living like people in Alaska where they depend on the wilderness for their livelihood and survival.
It may not be a deluxe or a fancy way of living but it’s much simpler and very cost-effective.
Even if you’re isolated from most people around the world, it’s eco-friendly and you are able to live more connected to nature.
There are unavoidable initial costs before living off-grid.
For example, you need to purchase a piece of land that may cost around $30,000 for 1-5 acres, a house, a power system, and a water purification system.
Average Cost For Off-Grid Living
Now that you have your house set, there is still an average cost you need to pay for the things you cannot make on your own.
Although if you decide to add a plantation in your lot, or a farmhouse and use its products for food supply, it may drastically reduce the cost of living off-grid.
Here’s a checklist for living off the grid and the things you need to spend your money on while living this new life:
- Household Items
Household items are the basic needs of every home, from kitchen tools & equipment to toiletries and furniture, household items are very important when living in a new home off the grid.
Whether you need gasoline to fuel your car, cook your food, or power your equipment, gasoline is very important.
Unless you want to live off-grid for 365 days a year, you also need to allocate some money for travel. With this money, you can enjoy a few days of vacation with your family.
Building a farm in your residence is optional, however, it is very useful because you can reduce your cost of food by planting crops on your own.
Even if you can plant a lot of crops on your land, you cannot produce everything, that’s why you also need to set aside some money for food.
Amongst all the things you should spend your money on, healthcare is one of the most important because you need to keep safe in your isolated home.
Hospitals and healthcare services may be far away from the place you live in, that’s why it’s important to have a complete set of first aid material to medicate any injuries that may happen in your home.
Other than previously mentioned expenses, the maintenance of your home is also very important. If you plan to live off the grid for a long time, then make sure to allocate money for maintenance.
- Phone & Internet Bills
Although you want to live off the grid and live an isolated life, it’s very useful to have a connection to the outside world.
With your phone, you can still be updated with the news around the world, call your relatives and call an emergency hotline if needed.
Saving Money is a Must, Not a Should
If you plan to live off the grid then you’re guaranteed to save money in the long run.
However, you can’t just save money overnight; it will take a lot of time before you can actually say that you’ve saved a lot of money.
First of all, if you’re all about living off-grid, then you should at least build a farmhouse and plant crops on your farm.
Around 1-5 acres should be more than enough for your home.
Hizgo Piggy Bank for Adults Stainless Steel
Since it takes a lot of time before you will harvest the crops in the meantime, you’re going to have to rely on purchased goods from convenience stores.
After some time you can fully depend on all your crops and farm animals (if you wish to breed some farm animals) and truly live off the grid separated from the busy lives in the city.
The initial cost may be a lot but if you have no plans of returning to the city then you will surely save money because you are living independently.
72 Ways To Save Reduce Your Costs For Off-Grid Living
Hey, below are our massive tips on cost saving for all of you guys. The ideas are being collected via online resources. Thank you to all of the bloggers out there for sharing the wonderful tips.
22 Ways To Cut Down Your Costs Before Living Off-Grid
- Buy Second-Hand Clothes
- Sell Useless Clothes
- Sell Books That Aren’t Used
- Move/sell Furniture From Your Old House To Your New House
- Let Your House Be Available For Rent
- Sell Your Land
- Sell All Electronic Devices That Are Not Needed
- Buy A Piece Of Land From Someone You Know
- Ask Help From Relatives To Move Belongings To Your New Home
- Do All Packaging Of Belongings By Yourself, Don’t Pay For Moving Companies
- Start Saving Money To Live Off The Grid
- Purchase Solar-powered Products
- Buy Cheap But Durable Low-maintenance Equipment
- Learn How To Do Basic Repairs In Your Home
- Purchase Different Types Of Power Systems
- Learn How To Breed Different Animals
- Learn To Grow Food On Your Own
- Practice Living A Simple Life With Simple Food
- Save Movies In A Usb For Entertainment
- Buy Cheap Books For Entertainment
- Purchase First Aid Kits To Save Money From Injuries That Can Become Costly If Not Treated
- Harness Electricity From The Sun, Wind, Or Water
- Avoid Going Into Fancy Restaurants
22 Ways To Reduce Living Costs When Transforming Living Off-Grid
- Stop Buying Paper Towels
- Cut Down Old Garments To Create More Cleaning Cloths
- Replace Cleaning Products With Baking Soda
- Bake Homemade Bread With The Crops You’ll Plant
- Plant Fruits And Vegetables
- Plan Your Meals
- Reheat Leftovers From Meals
- Eat Rice And Beans
- Use Eco-friendly Ways Of Transportation (Walking/biking)
- Set A Specific Date To Ride Your Car To Reduce Gas Consumption
- Learn To Cut Your Own Hair
- Dry Your Clothes On An Outdoor Clothesline
- Learn To Sew And Fix Rips On Your Own
- Learn How To Fish
- Hunt Animals In The Forest
- Eat More Soup And Stews To Stretch The Meat
- Buy Clothes In Thrift Shops
- Install LEDs Wherever Possible
- Use Solar-powered Products
- Drink Tap Water (Use A Water Filtration System)
- Stop Buying Juice And Make Your Own With Fruits
- Cancel All Gym/yoga Studio Membership
Vont 2 Pack LED Camping Lantern
 Ways To Reduce Living Costs When Completely Live Off-Grid
When you completely live off the grid, you won’t need to spend too much on bills.
With solar energy, you don’t have to worry about electricity bills.
With a DIY water system, you don’t need to worry about water bills.
With a DIY heating system and some in-house heating options, you will save a lot of money for heating.
What do you need to spend further? You can hover to the search box and search for that saving tip. We have almost everything you need for off the grid saving.
Not sure what alternatives you can have? You can send us a request via contact(at)emoffgrid.com or linhto.hr(at)gmail.com. We will reply to you in a very short period. We promise.
Top 10 Most Critical Ways That Help You Save Almost Everything
- Plan your need and buy your actual need
Saving money is the first step to prepare for your off the grid living. You don’t have to save a million of USD for it but the important thing is you know how to save money and have practiced saving for months.
When you have ideas on your mind on how to save money, feel free to go off the grid.