Off-grid living is now a trend for people who want to explore the world. You need a stable energy/electricity source to run different devices. The best energy off-grid living will enable you to establish a reliable power source.
Without having an uninterrupted electricity alternative, you cannot use the necessary appliances and devices in a remote place.
Before installing any energy option, you have to know about the installation system, costs, pros, and cons to ensure that it is suitable for your area.
Similarly, it is important to consider the house design before finalizing your decision. It will reduce the cost and increase the efficiency of the house.
In this writing, we will explain the benefits of different types of energy for off-grid living. Let’s explore!
Benefits of Off-Grid Energy Sources
You will get outstanding benefits from off-grid energy. You can make the best use of these energies when you don’t have other reliable sources.
Now, off-grid energies are a reliable source of power in urban and rural life. Here are some significant benefits.
Renewable or off-grid energy helps you to avoid power outages and get an uninterrupted energy source without worry.
Off-grid energy reduces costs and allows you to run more devices without enhancing electricity bills.
Besides, you can easily get electricity in rural and off-grid areas. You don’t need grid connectivity.
Furthermore, most off-grid energy sources are eco-friendly and have a less environmental impact.
How to Choose the Right Energy Source For Off-Grid Living
When it comes to off-grid energy: solar, wind, micro-hydro, and geothermal energy are the most common forms.
You have to select the best one depending on your needs and location. Let’s explore some significant features that will help you to select the best off-grid energy.
Weather And Location
You can not control the weather and you have to consider this matter while selecting off-grid energy for your house.
Besides, the weather varies on location and region. So, you have to find the best solution for your energy source.
Your Power Consumption Needs
You know better how much electricity is required to run the devices and appliances. You cannot operate high-power devices with low energy production systems.
In this case, you have to calculate the power consumption rate when installing an off-grid energy source.
You can not exceed your budget. So, you have to consider the installation and maintenance costs before selecting an energy source. Don’t go for an expensive one, instead you should find a reliable source.
5 Best Energy Sources for Off-Grid Living
In this article, we review the five best energy sources for off-grid living. We include the most reliable and powerful resources.
Our goal is to provide you with a holistic idea regarding these electricity alternatives while living off-grid.
|Best Energy For Off-Grid Living||Average costs|
|Wind Energy||$4,000 to $8,000|
|Geothermal Energy||$2500 per installed kW|
|Solar Wind Hybrid System||$65,000|
Solar energy is the most efficient and powerful renewable energy that you can use as electricity alternatives. In this system, photovoltaic cells get energy from the sun.
With solar panels, the system collects heat and converts it to thermal or electrical energy. Solar panels, inverters, and charge controllers are the main elements of solar energy.
The solar system collects heat from the sun. It can generate electricity with sunlight the whole day.
Modern solar technologies developed a complete energy solution with solar power. The system can generate, store, and distribute energy efficiently.
This is the most affordable off-grid energy source. You have to install solar panels in a place where sunlight is available.
The average cost of solar system installation is between $5,000-$12,000. It depends on your location and government policy.
If you want to explore more about off-grid solar installation, you can use this guide- Solar For Off-Grid Living: Complete Guide. It will help you to understand the matter.
- Solar energy is efficient and affordable. You can use it anyplace under the sun.
- It is suitable for city and rural areas. You can use it in remote places where grid connectivity is unavailable.
- You will get a long-term energy source without paying the monthly bill. It requires one-time installation.
- Solar systems require less maintenance and are easy to use.
- You can transfer and reinstall a solar system in any place without new instruments and devices.
- It is a one-time installation. So, the solar system requires a certain amount.
- A large and powerful solar system needs more space to accommodate solar panels.
WEIZE 200 Watt 12 Volt Solar Panel Starter Kit
- High Efficiency: WEIZE solar panel is constructed with high-performance Monocrystalline solar cells that offer higher efficiency up to 21% than Polycrystalline in bright weather condition, it provides a long service life and is virtually maintenance free.
- Durable: The anodized aluminum frames, tempered glass and sealed junction box make the solar panel corrosion-resistant and weatherproof for superior outdoor performance.
- Versatile: The industrial-standard solar panel features 39.96" x 20.27" x 1.18" size, 2.6ft cable with connectors, produces 300-600Wh a day, generates 5.3 amp power, charges 12 volt battery, ideal for RV's, cabins, sheds, remote locations and other small power generation needs.
Wind energy is also a renewable power source. It is the process of energy production by using wind. In this system, wind turbines convert kinetic energy into mechanical power.
This sustainable energy source has a much smaller impact on the environment. By using wind power, we can reduce the use of fossil fuels and our carbon footprint.
Off-grid and remote areas can generate power with wind energy. It is cost-effective and easy to install.
Though the system requires large numbers of machinery and turbines to generate electricity, it comes with an eco-friendly operation and a long lifespan.
The cost is a little bit higher than solar energy, and you have to pay around $4,000 to $8,000 per rated kilowatt.
- Renewable and sustainable energy source.
- It is suitable for remote and off-grid areas.
- You can use wind energy for a long time after installation.
- Wind power has less impact on the environment.
- Wind energy installation is more expensive than solar power.
- It requires more time to install and generate electricity.
Pikasola Wind Turbine Generator
- ★ Feature: Starting with low speed; high wind energy utilization; low vibration on operation, high efficiency.
- ★ Wind Blade: 23.4inch in length, made of nylon carbon fiber. The longer the blades are, the more kinetic energy they generate and the more power they produce. Nylon material waterproof, corrosion resistant, lightweight.
- ★ Generator: three-phase permanent magnet synchronous motor. Efficient and compact ac generator with high performance NdFeB permanent magnet. A fully integrated voltage regulator that automatically shuts down when energy is fully charged. The wind generator is controlled by MPPT intelligent microprocessor, which can effectively adjust current and voltage
Micro hydropower is simple renewable energy in the world. In this system, electricity is produced by using the natural flow of water.
This technique can generate up to 100 kilowatts of electricity. Homeowners, businesses, and farmers use micro-hydro power for personal and commercial use.
The system requires a turbine pump and waterwheel to generate electricity from flowing water.
It is used as a commercial electricity production system in different countries. It is easy to install micro-hydropower where natural water flow is available.
The most significant advantage of this energy source is that it will produce energy 24 hours after installation if the flow is available.
The installation process is a little bit compact, however, the latest engineering solutions make it convenient.
Besides, it can be used to generate electricity from low head water flow.
A reliable micro-hydro system needs a charge controller, generator, batteries, and inverter. The total cost is about $4,000-$15,000.
- Eco-friendly energy with less environmental impact.
- Suitable for all purposes.
- You can save monthly electricity costs.
- Water resources are available across the globe. Therefore, it is suitable for most of the countries.
- It requires more devices and tools.
- The installation process is complex because of water management.
It is the heat that comes from the sub-surface of the earth. The energy can be found under the earth.
To explore geothermal energy, we have to access the underground steam and hot water resources.
A deep hole and planned digging will reach you there. Did you know that the earth stores energy?
Modern scientists found three types of geothermal power sources. These are dry steam, flash, and binary.
The first one is the oldest form, and it can be used directly to the turbines.
On the contrary, the flash plants generate electricity from hot pressurized water from underground.
The binary plants provide water through a secondary liquid to create vapor. With this vapor, the system drives a turbine.
Geothermal energy is available in more than 20 countries, and the United States is the oldest producer.
This system requires a turbine and generator to collect heat and turn it into geothermal energy.
You have to pay around $2,500 per installed kW, and it is expensive. It is expensive because the primary cost is higher than other off-grid energy.
- Carbon-free renewable energy.
- Uninterrupted energy source.
- High initial costs make it expensive.
Solar-Wind Hybrid System
Finally, we have the solar-wind combination energy source. It is a hybrid energy production system that produces energy from solar panels and wind turbines.
To understand this system, we have to study the solar energy system. The solar energy system collects energy from photovoltaic cells and converts it into electrical power.
On the contrary, wind energy runs the turbine and produces electricity.
The combined system uses both solar and wind energy to generate electricity.
This energy production system is ideal for off-grid living and remote areas. The system will get power all day throughout the year.
When sunlight is unavailable, the inverter and battery get power from the wind turbines.
It requires all the equipment of solar and wind energy production systems. This is an expensive system, and the average cost is around $65,000.
- Uninterrupted energy source.
- Dual power source.
- High-efficient power production
- Combine system is expensive.
- Installation cost is higher than other options.
Finally, you have the best energy solutions for off-grid living. Now, it depends on you which energy is suitable for your location.
You can select a reliable energy source depending on the needs, performance, efficiency, and location.
Before installing any energy system, it is better to know the energy consumption rate of the house. It will enable you to install a system with a perfect production rate.
If you are searching for the most efficient and affordable one, solar energy will be the best solution for off-grid living.
On the contrary, wind power is an efficient solution for countries and regions where sunlight is not available in all seasons.